Sunday, March 11, 2012

First 6 weeks of teaching.


So I have just finished teaching 2nd grade for 6 weeks now.
It has been a lot tougher than I expected.
I've had to deal with kids running away, talking to the police, full blown temper-tantrums in my classroom where property was damaged, bullying, students and some parents who could care less about school and awful language.
I have also met some children who are shining while having to deal with a lot in their world right now, who haven't given up hope. It helps me to remember not to give up either. I have received a lot of support from some parents. I have an administration and faculty that keep cheering me on. For that I am grateful.
I care about these small people.
It is frustrating to me that I can't already be the kind of teacher that I want to be. I have so much to learn about being patient with myself.
We made good progress on March 7th. Things have started to look up. I am finally able to teach curriculum for most of the day instead of having to focus so much on behavior issues. My students have started to unlearn their previous learned behaviors and are now realizing that I mean business. There is hope.

3 comments:

Heidi and Micah Blake said...

It sounds like it is getting better. I'm proud of you for sticking through it. That can't be easy. You are amazing!

Cynthia Mann said...

Wow, that sounds like an eventful first few weeks. I hope the next 6 weeks go a little better. It sounds like you've learned a lot and things should be great! Are you on year round or do you have a summer break?

Lexie said...

Whew, that sounds rough! I am glad that things are on the upswing, I know you'll do a great job! By the way, give the girls birthday hugs from us, my new cell phone lost a bunch of numbers and all I have is your old cell number, but tell them we were thinking of them on their big days and we love them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...